The Colégio Luso-Internacional de Braga (CLIB) tries to concentrate its educational project on the most efficient pedagogical means with the goal of contributing to the educational development of their students and to promote in them:
- the ability to rationalise well and ethically;
- the capability to think critically and solve problems;
- the flexibility to adjust to a constantly changing;
- the courage to confront unknown and intimidating situations;
- the sensibility to understand the fragility of our environmental context;
- the competence to manage the proliferation and inherent complexity of the means of communication;
- the comradeship and faith in humanity so indispensable to a life in a small and pluralist world.
A project of this nature implies, necessarily, that one seriously think about EDUCATION, to answer the following questions:
- What do we understand by basic beginnings of education?
- What can we and want to transmit to our pupils who attend this College?
- What can we and want to transmit to the families of our students?
As a matter of fact, the best!
It is, thus, our belief, as educators and assistants responsible for this educational project, to orientate our intervention according to the following basic beginnings:
- Educating is guiding in the development of a strong human personality, capable of confronting numerous challenges from our contemporary society. We are fully aware that this isn’t possible if the School limits itself merely to the instructive aspects, thus, forming integrally implies transmitting values which allow a human being to critically evaluate his own and others’ actions in daily life;
- Parents are the main ones responsible for their children’s education and may carry, as countless research world-wide has shown, a very important role in the scholastic success of their children. But in this invaluable vocation, families receive less and less support, and their mission is not easy nowadays. Recognising the priorities of family in this area, the school does not wish to substitute the family, but aspires to be able to help, sharing, sincerely, their worries; the school shall be a privileged place to educate positive and basic values, remembering that the educational effectiveness depends on the responsible involvement of the families and society.
- Aware of the challenge placed on families, on one hand, and insisting on considering them as educational partners, on the other, it is the School’s intention not to neglect the parents formation, in matters of recognised actuality and pertinence, such as basic ethics, the importance of giving their children a good family environment and of respecting them as free people with their own will, the necessity to transmit defence attitudes and intervene against certain problems of the actual society, as well as in natural cognitive themes, namely the question of multiple/various intelligences; the School is to facilitate the building to the parents for activities for integrated in the educational project of the School.
- This School has come to fill the educational gap in the geographical area it provides for, presenting itself as an International School with Portuguese and English as the guiding languages, the British Educational System as a base model and covering all age levels from pre-school (3-4 years) until entering university.
In short, conscience that, since the beginning of school, children spend most of their day at school and facing, as mentioned previously, families as educational partners, the School cannot nor wants to work without the full co-operation of the parents and commits itself to assuming responsibility for the following basic functions in educational matters:
- PERSONAL: offering a personalised and complete education that develops in the child competence such as discipline, perseverance, self confidence, the spirit of truth, the spirit of strength, the spirit of service, the ability to decide freely with righteousness, justice and a sense of responsibility;
- SOCIAL: encouraging the respect for difference, the understanding of cultural diversity and fellowship with the socially and economically deprived; investing in values such as: tolerance, respect for one another, in the availability to serve society. On the other hand, all attitudes of rejection and segregation towards the community are discouraged;
- CIVIL: privileging strategies which form pupils to exercise citizenship, aware that society presently demands, each time more, the capacity to socialise with different ways of life, without opening a gap in the individual project of life: the unity beyond divisions;
- PROFESSIONAL: the growing cultural globalisation which we are presently facing, the internationalisation of Portugal, especially following the integration of Portugal into the European Community, it is more and more necessary to be geographically mobile for those wanting to follow a professional career, and naturally for ones family, creating new educational necessities, whether pupils already live in this region, or arrive here from other countries;
- CULTURAL: respecting the spiritual and cultural essence of education that families have chosen for their children;
- SUPPLEMENTARY FAMILY: proposing to parents a programme of free time occupation with extra curricular activities that, complementing the formal curriculum, promote a balanced development of the children.
CLIB’s educational programme is based on eight fundamental pedagogic beginnings:
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: the achievement of the highest academic standards, through a complete and integrated curriculum that benefits individual performance and team accomplishments;
- LEARNING TO LEARN: the level of knowledge develops, nowadays, at such a rate that encyclopaedic vision of teaching is totally infeasible. By highlighting how to learn, our goal is to prepare the pupils for a whole life of permanent learning and permanent development of their capacities;
- TEAM WORK: The School’s programme is based on the premise that pupils can and should learn from each other so as to assume the biggest part of responsibility for their own education;
- DIVERSITY AND TRANS-CULTURAL EDUCATION: the concept of a person as an unique being and the transformations resulting from the globalisation process implies the construction of a learning process that favours the affirmation of the cultural singularity of each student and the study of the diverse forms in which human life expresses itself;
- ETHICAL AND MORAL DEVELOPMENT: the integral development of the students demands a solid and dynamical ethical and moral education. The absorption of standardised codes of behaviour isn’t enough; it’s necessary that each student learn to reason and decide ethical and morally;
- INDIVIDUAL INTERESTS AND NECESSITIES: the programme evolves according to the individual necessities and specificity of each individual pupil as a person. The practicality of this concept, is left in charge of each teacher and educator that accompanies the academic and personal development of each pupil;
- JOINT DECISION TAKING: the School’s management is based on a democratic model of taking decisions. The School recognises the parent’s, teacher’s, pupil’s and community’s fundamental role in the development of the educational process;
- EXPRESSIVE ARTS: the arts are essential for a complete understanding of our nature as human beings and as members of cultural groups. We wish to contribute to a new understanding of arts, in general, and visual arts, in specific, through artistic creation, beauty, the history of art and criticism. In other words, it is considered that the habit of socialising with art, facilitates the development of analytic attitudes and facilitates diverse thinking. Therefore, the arts should be practised as a subject and as an integral part of the study plan.